Sunday, February 21, 2010

cornmeal cooking

Ah, remember the hearts? (now why can I never seem to keep from smiling at the thought of little cookie cutters?)

I made them to adorn a roasted eggplant & chestnut bisque (with blood orange and mint), but the trick is that I made them spicy!  It's pretty simple to do, and I learned a new method for making polenta thanks to Mark Bittman - instead of boiling the water and then adding the cornmeal, you first whisk the cold water with the grain so there's no lumps at all.  Granted, I've never had huge lump problems with polenta, but I do think this was easier.  It even accommodated my using a hand mixer attachment instead of a real whisk because, uh.... it was closer!  It's SO almost the same thing.

Spicy Ras-el-Hanout Polenta Croutons

1 cup coarse cornmeal
3 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Ras el Hanout spice
1 tbsp olive oil

- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cornmeal, salt, spices and water completely.  Then, jack up the heat to boil and as soon as it does boil, reduce the heat to a very low bubble and stir every minute or so until the grain is completely cooked through and the porridge is thick.  It'll be about 12-15 minutes.  

- Then, whisk in the oil and spread the polenta on a baking sheet lined with greased plastic wrap and refridgerate for at least 2 hours to firm everything up.

- When it's firm - cut it up!  Cookie cutterized, or into little crouton-cubes, either way.  

- Heat a heavy skillet over medium high heat and coat the bottom in olive oil.  Fry them up, about 5 minutes a side, until they're nicely browned and slightly firm when you poke them.  Top onto salads or soups or just snack on them, they're really nice.

Mmmm, speaking of cornmeal and how utterly delicious it is, I made some mini fluffy cornbreads from the Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas.  I've had this book since I was a little girl, or at least my mother always kept it's dry-bound oft-used pages up on the bookshelf for as long as I can remember.  Granted it's chock full of dairy and eggs, but what is viable for a vegan is really lovely, and the cornbread is no exception.

I replaced the egg with some flaxseed and added chopped thai chili and diced red onions, and they came out just barely sweet and nutty tasting!  This isn't a big-ol sopping up chili with a hunk of hefty corncake kinda cornbread, but light and refined kind of puff of mais-muffin that' got a crisp crust and is pretty low fat too.  Almost alarmingly charming.  ^.^

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about polenta croutons.. but heart - shaped ones is such a great idea! Where are my cookie cutters? I'm certain I have some little animals somewhere. That would make a vegan soup :D

Mary said...

Ooh, what a good idea! I've never thought of polenta croutons. Somehow I doubt I'd be able to stop at just two in my soup...I think I'd eat the whole pan. Good tip on mixing the polenta cold; that stuff can be hot and sticky like magma when it gets boiling. I've scorched my hands many times mixing polenta into hot water!

T said...

Those are absolutely precious! Cornmeal crutons are also really good in salads (like V-con caesar salad, eg.) YUMM.

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! Those are precious little croutons. I'm so mad about not being able to eat corn right now, but I'm managing somehow. :)

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

love those lil hearts. i want your zine!

Theresa said...

Cute little hearts! And corn muffins remind me so much of being a little kidlet, yours look delicious :)

Jes said...

Those crutons are way too perfect for just about any dish!!

Serena said...

Ooh my goodness this looks amazing :D I LOVE cornbread...absolutely adore it ;)

Eileen said...

polenta croutons! awesome! soup garnish for the win!

now I really want polenta...maybe with roasted sweet potatoes and spicy chickpeas.

dreaminitvegan said...

Okay those polenta hearts are too cute!!! And what an interesting bisque you made. It looks good.

Canvas Photos said...

Cute little muffins! I just recently bought Basil and Garlic polenta from the market... trying to figure out what to do with it!

Unknown said...

Hello guys this is alex,i like these Cute little muffins.........
======
SEO projects

Coffee Makers said...

Love the heart shaped cornmeals, which would go great with so many things.

Penny

Reviews on Coffee Makers

liz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.