Tuesday, April 29, 2008

montreal food (before the vaycay)

So it's been a while... I feel a little overwhelmed by food photos and at least 300 unread entries on my blogroll... but hey, I'm back at school on Thursday and with school comes avoidant tendencies, boredom, and a need to gaze at other people's food successes/experiments/disasters/what-have-you with rapt attention. I think that's why I'm opening the first of my re-cap posts with that excellent tangle of stir fry up there. It's not like, blog-worthy in any classic sense of the word, it involved a lot of green thai curry paste and normal normal stuff... but it was the best stir fry I've made so far! And I got to use my mung bean flat noodles (which looked shockingly like glass and tasted like hyper-jello in a very good way). And I threw the whole thai theme in a blender by using lentil sprouts, but anyway, this was excellent. And all a-tangle, which is how I feel right now. (also, for the record I got my fall/winter marks back and I got straight As!!!). A-tangle I say! So on with the foods before my mind ties me in noodley-knots, tee hee...

I should probably just label the simple stuff -- here's some VwaV chocolate pudding with vastly reduced sugar and added pureed strawberries and banana. I err... don't recommend these adjustments so much. Still hit the chocolate craving, but it wasn't really pudding in any decadent sense, ah well.

French lentil soup from the Vcon, with a kale & maple-mustard salad. VERY good, all of it. I could eat sweetly dressed kale every day of the week and tarragon-y lentils = Win.

Sopa de Chayote! Alas, my second chayote (or Mirliton) wasn't quite enough to justify using it in a full-on cool recipe like Kittee's stuffed squash, I did manage to find a recipe for this easy soup that might beat out gazpacho as my favourite chilled hot-weather repast. Go make this! It actually showcases the oh-so subtle flavour of the chayote, which also lends it this quirky green colour. Mexican dinner party starter soup? Uhhhh.... yes.

Vcon strawberry-plum crisp -- amazingly more than the sum of it's parts. The fruit turns into what I imagine vegetarian vampires would want to nosh - gloopy, crimson, sweet and tart, and also the aniseseed in the crust made me extra happy. I always forget how much I like baked strawberries what with all my raw eating, but this reminded me of the whole "strawberry-bomb" phenomena. Like how they get all warm and explodey when they're cooked. Hee, anyway...

*drumrollllllll*

Best cookies ever. (okay, best CHOCOLATE cookies ever). Thank you Vcon, the chocolate chocolate chip walnut cookies have pretty much been renamed Supernova Desirious Nexi-Yums in my mind, which is a silly name to be sure, but almost manages to convey what a job they did on my knees when I bit one warm from the oven (those knees wobbled. a lot). I made them for my painting class, then thought better of it, and saved them for my friends and I to gush over at leisure. (oh, and I made the chocolate-orange version... mmmmmmmorange!).


More food to come! Swell Vegan tester scones and redcurrant cupcakes and lots of things in mini-form and egads, well, a lot. Next post soon!

7 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

the lentil sprouts are so beautiful.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Welcome back to the blogging world, Liz!!! Looks like you've been eating well while you've been away ;0)

aTxVegn said...

Firstly, congrats on straight A's! Now, the food all looks super. The lentils and kale look really delish.

Anonymous said...

I totally need to make those cookies!
And congrats on your good work. =)

Vegan_Noodle said...

Believe me I know the overwhleming feeling of trying to catch up with blogs! Once you get behind it's tough with so many out there!

I have to agree that those chocolate chocolate chip walnut cookies are amazing.. love the new name you thought of :-)

Unknown said...

I'm so in love with the french lentil soup from Vcon as well.

The strawberry-plum crisp looks and sounds fantastic!

MeloMeals said...

Those cookies look amazing!

Kale salad is fabulous!! and that pie in your last post looks to die for.