Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Swell Vegan Sweet Potatoes #1

Yum! Amazing! Could I gush more? I should! I was fortunate enough to be a tester for the very talented A-K of the Swell Vegan blog, and I've just fallen in love with her Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burgers with Millet and Leeks! They're so delicious, with a sweet note of almond butter, some spicy mexi-kick, a nice meaty bite and very easy to make. I usually douse my burgers in nayo and ketchup, but not this time! Condiments like that t'would be sacrilege in this case, as they're plenty flavourful enough on their own (though her suggestion of guacamole would be verrrrry nice, I'm thinking). They firm up nice, too!

Aren't they pretty? There was much (much) finger licking going on during forming of these things. I can't wait to get on the scone recipe....

And yesterday I wanted lentil soup but also not to work very hard, so I made the vcon Ancho Lentil Soup. Which was good, but I kinda wish it were spicier, or the ancho flavour more pronounced (and I used a huge one). Or even had vegetables in it of any kind? The pineapples were a fun touch, though.

Aaaaand, I promised myself a bar of Terra Nostra Rice Milk Chocolate on Zombie Jesus Day but got sidetracked by florentine'd tofu and other foods that AREN'T CHOCOLATE (insane, I know). So I fixed that and bought a bar, and woah! This is some special milky-mouth-melt action! I think dark is still my absolute favourite, but it's an utter treat to reach into the chocolate drawer (yes, I have one of those - usually 2 or 3 bars open at any given time... for emergencies!) and pull out milk chocolate. *grin*

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hide my chocolate in my wok. then i might forget it's there, and it will last longer...the rice milk chocolate is my second favorite, tropical source mint crunch is my first favorite! mmmm.....lovely photo of your sammie.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

How funny; I was just looking at the ancho soup recipe today and thinking that I should make it because I have ancho chili powder! I'll keep in mind what you said about it needing more spice. :)

Anonymous said...

ZOMG those look so good!

Lizzy said...

The burgers look fantastic!!! Mhh, I wish I had one for lunch!

And woah, MILK CHOCOLATE =D I wish they had that here. Dark chocolate is nice, but milk chocolate is such a different eating experience =p

Veggie said...

I love that Terra Nostra Rice Milk Chocolate. Yum!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

those burgers look amazing! I cant get over it! I'm still starring!

Judy said...

Wow, those burger pattie things look awesome, they are so colourful. And that bread in the post below.... mmmm.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I have chocolate drawer too & I still haven't tried my Rice Milk bar that's in there! I also have some vegan white chocolate I found in Europe!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Sweet potatoes... chocolate... soup with pineapple... can it get any better than that?! I don't think so!

TB said...

i love that chocolate! and mmmm, those burgers look AMAZING!

MeloMeals said...

Those burgers look great!

laura k said...

Wow, the burgers look delish!!

I've often wondered if that Ricemilk chocolate is any good... guess I'll take your word for it and get myself a bar one of these days! :)

sarchan said...

Your burger-sammich is making me hungry. Ricemilk chocolate...puts me in a Homer Simpson-like trance.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

those burgers look amazing!

Sarah P said...

I never really liked that chocolate (which is crazy for me to say, as I love all things chocolate), but those black-bean sweet potato burgers look AMAZING,.

aTxVegn said...

Wow, those patties look amazing!

T said...

Yum, how good do those burgers look! And pineapple is something i would never think to put with lentils... better crack open the old v'con to investigate.

Sam said...

Terra Nostra's ricemilk chocolate is the only thing that satisfies my craving when I'm really in the mood for a Hershey's bar... I love that stuff! Love the soup!

bazu said...

those burgers look great- and I recently tried the rice milk chocolate too! the truffle flavor looks even better than the regular one I tried...

Jes said...

Holy potato. Those burgers look orgasmic.

Thanks for the birthday love, sorry it took me so long to catch up. Moving is the pits!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

"yum! amazing!" indeed!! those burgers look DIVINE!!

those rice-milk bars ARE good - the almond one is especially delicious :0)

Saikat said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

thx-Saikat

Anonymous said...

hooray burgers! and that ricemilk chocolate is to die for! ps - tagged you!

jAe said...

i feel like i've fallen behind in discovering foodie/vegan blogs that seem to share a lot of common ground with my own. good to know now, that you're out there!

Rural Vegan said...

You need to send me one of those burgers, pronto! ZOMG they look amazing!

Jenny Wren said...

Those burgers are beautiful!

p.s. i just tagged you!

Rules:
Link to your tagger and post these rules.
Share 5 facts about yourself.
Tag 5 people at the end of your post and list their names (linking to them).
Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment at their blogs.

Ruby Red said...

Yep, I can tell A-K is talented just by her pictures! You must be in yummy heaven testing her recipes - I've heard the sweet potato scones are awesome!

I would agree that it is convenient to be able to whip out a rice milk chocolate bar for those milk chocolate cravings - expect all my loyalties go to dark chocolate, too! :)

Vegan_Noodle said...

Anything with sweet potatoes is swell for me!!