Sunday, April 13, 2008

white beans and bunnies!

I love end of term. I love the delirium, and the not-sleeping, and the out-and-out stress of it all. No, actually I hate all those things, but I DO love how productive I get in all other areas that aren't school. I made a bunny! It's for my sister, and I'm seriously considering starting an Etsy shop (even though that would mean getting a - *shudder* - credit card). I could see myself sewing on summer afternoons on a regular basis, plus I'd get to make adorable things all the time. Also, supplemental income - always nice. (she's wearing an apron which makes her OK for a food blog, btw ;)

Onto the white beans! What better than Vcon pasta fazooool to throw together in less than 15 minutes so I can pretend my priorities lie with paper-writing and not in the kitchen? Nothing, it's totally the best thing! I liked this a lot, though the inclusion of beans in anything pretty much guarantees I'll be nuts for it. And I totally stand by eating this on spaghetti, it ups the challenge factor, and you can't slurp tiny pastas as far as I know. (at least, not with the modicum of neanderthal grace I allow myself when I'm snarfing noodles alone, ha!)

And yummy lunch today was Vcon hot-sauce glazed tofu, baked sweet potato and really really cheater baked beans (white beans + bbq sauce). More than enough fuel to proofread. And not get distracted by Harvest Moon. With any luck! Course, I am stuffed and groggy now and could use some time attempting to woo the bartender's daughter, hee hee. I'm so responsible. :)

(as for the tofu, it was spooky - I could almost sense the tempeh in the store calling out for this marinade, insisting that tofu was way better suited to more delicate things. I only vaguely recall what tempeh even tastes/feels like, but I'm pretty sure it would rock so much more than the 'fu here. That said I was practically sipping the leftover glaze!)

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOH that bunny is so cute!!! You're so creative. =)

Unknown said...

not only are you a genius in the kitchen, you're also mega crafty? I worship thee!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Haha, I was about to say... you actually LIKE the delirium of end term?! I'm relieved to read that you were kidding ;0)

That bunny is TOO ADORABLE!!! You're brilliant as a crafter AND a cook/baker!!

Theresa said...

Super cute bunny! And baked sweet potato, I haven't had one in a while but you've made me hungry!

aTxVegn said...

I'm so jealous of the talent of crafty people! That bunny is sooo cute!

Both of your plates look really satisfying.

Anonymous said...

That bunny is so cute. I'm jealous of your craftyness!

trina said...

I do that too! But my alternate productivity is never as cute as yours.

Carrie said...

The hot sauce glazed tempeh is one of my absolute favourite tempeh recipes...I've never tried it with tofu. But man is the marinade delicious. :)

Oh and I adore your bunny - too cute!

Unknown said...

The bunny is ADORABLE!! And your lunch looks SUPER DUPER yummy.

bazu said...

cutest bunny ever? yes. yes it is.

and worry not, you are so close to the end of the term, just a few more short days/weeks- you can do it!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

beans and bbq sauce is my fave easy food and I love that bunny!

Cakespy said...

Liz, you really need to start selling them. They are too, too cute! And points to you for starting out so sweet but keeping me hooked with that baked sweet potato and tofu. Looks so good.

Kate said...

Thanks for the visit! I like the burgers you posted about one post before, they look yummy.

Alicia said...

You cook great vegan food AND you can sew bunnies? you are my hero... sell those babies in etsy, I think it's a great idea!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I know what you mean about that hot sauce glaze! When I made it (w/ tempeh), I was eating the extra glaze w/ a spoon (and possibly w/ my fingers). ;)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

that bunny is so adorable.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

You MADE that bunny?! I am in awe of your skills... and I was ALREADY in awe of your cooking/baking skills (like with the turtle cake).

How can you be so talented?!

Anonymous said...

okay, so where can we buy the sweet little bunnie? and the apron with the little strings?! perfect touch! there is a really tasty white bean and kale pasta recipe in some cookbook of mine...who would have though white beans and pasta would be so good together?

Jenny Wren said...

Why bother going to all the trouble of setting up a shop when you could just make lots of bunnies and send them ALL TO ME.

Anonymous said...

I ADORE Harvest Moon!
I re-playing Another Wonderful Life right now after finishing HM Rune Factory <3

Jes said...

That bunny is the bomb! I'd totally buy one from you if you set up an etsy shop. I love my crafty acquaintances!

JENNA said...

what a great bunny! and great food.

Monika K said...

I'm with you - I usually find myself to be incredibly productive in all areas BUT homework and studying at term ends. Unfortunately, I have so much due this semester that it's impossible to procrastinate too much. Darn!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I would totally buy that on etsy!! Set up a shop, please!!

Aren't white beans awesome? So versatile. And yes, that hot sauce glaze is perfect with tempeh, but the tofu looks tasty too!

Anonymous said...

wow, what a great post! you are brilliant in the kitchen and out!

Anonymous said...

Cute bunny! I noticed also in one of your earlier posts you said tempeh was rare around here or something to that effect. Anyway, they have it in the freezer at the frigo vert if you're interested. It's cheap and locally-made, though not in those neat little uniform bricks.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

no way! that's amazing, I'm definitely in that area, well, all the time, thank you for the heads up!

Rural Vegan said...

That bunny is seriously adorable! And bonus points for the Harvest Moon reference. I can't tell you how many hours of my life I spent brushing cows and planting corn. =)