Thursday, June 12, 2008

i'm drunbk... lesesbake!

Curiously enough, I have a habit when drinking to RUN NOT WALK to the kitchen and see if I can't whip up something edible with blurry vision. And I usually can! Maybe it's the challenge... and it's certainly better than singing off-key, I should think.

My most classic preparation is some sort of seitan barfood after stumbling home. I guess 3 am and soused isn't the best time to attempt to recreate a vegan hotdog, but I tried! It wasn't hotdogg-y, but it was delicious, even if J was passed out like a rock by the time I set down a warm fresh chapati with a seitan-dog and all the fixins in front of him. (It made a perfect breakfast the next day, though!)

A week or two later some crepes were made, and turned out more perfectly than any sobre pancake I've ever attempted. The Vcon recipe is lightning-fast, delicious, and got rave vegetarian reviews ("these are even better than the kind with eggs! more flavourful and chewy!"). I did add a bit of extra oat flour, too, which gave them a nice homey touch.

Yum jam! Strawberry, blueberry, merlot, sour cherry, plus caramel sauce, cinnamon and fresh peaches.

And then last night (we all get off work on wednesday. we call it "fake saturday"), some whiskey prompted a mini-muffin adventure. What kind? Uhhhh.... banana! With blueberries! (we are also blueberry fiends, oh my yes). Use a recipe? Bah! That takes time and reading. Better to just throw some whole wheat pastry flour in a bowl with some ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, soymilk, brown rice syrup, oil and vanilla. And they TOTALLY turned out. Not too sweet, loaded with berries and banana, and perfect for munching on while playing with plastic dinosaurs and discussing 37 ways the world is an unfathomably weird place. Rarr brontasaurus rex!

There were even 3 (oops, I ate one - 2) left over the next day!

Smashed Vegan's Warning: please please please do not attempt to drink and bake at home, unless you're of legal age and are prepared to find a huge mess waiting for you in the morning. I don't want to be a bad influence... :o

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny- I can't even tell you how happy this post made me! I haven't ever baked while drunk... yet. ;)

Anonymous said...

When I got home drunk, I only want to sleep. Never figured out why people want to eat in the middle of the night.

Anonymous said...

haha, I've never tired drunk baking / cooking. Sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

That seitan sausage sammich looks DELICIOUS. Perfect drunk food.

Theresa said...

Ha, sounds like lots of fun. I used to come home from the bar and make chocolate cake batter to eat raw. No baking required when there are no nasty eggs involved!

Rural Vegan said...

Ha! Thankfully I've never tried baking while drinking, but now that you've put the idea in my head I will hold you responsible for the aftermath. ;)

sarchan said...

Haha, usually when I get the drinking munchies, cajole someone into going to a diner with me for fries or something. Or I rifle through my fridge/cupboards and call it a night. Your way is more impressive though.

radioactivegan said...

Awesome! I am totally a drunk baker, too. Surprisingly, I am quite able to bake drunk but seem to be incapable of cleaning up. Regardless, drunk baking is my favorite.

Alicia said...

Haha, it looks like you had a great time!

Sarah P said...

you and I would make an amazing drunk team - I do dishes when I drink!

Erika said...

That's awesome. I thought I was the only one who feels the desperate urge to bake/create food after a night of drinking. I once ate peanut butter Puffins cereal and almond milk out of half a baked acorn squash topped with agave... tasted great at the time

Erin said...

This is hilarious. I don't think I'd trust myself in the kitchen after drinking for more than plain toast.