Monday, February 18, 2008

Indian feast for the fam

So here it is! I went a little all-out, but I had two leisurely days to do it, so it was actually a great lesson in NOT stressing over food. From right to left, there's Aloo Paratha (spicy potato-filled flatbread - kind of my specialty, I might post the recipe later), Tamarind Lentils, Gajar salad (carrots with lemon and toasted mustard seeds), 5-Minute Mango Chutney, lime-pickled cucumber, Matar Tofu (tofu marinated in this), more Aloo Paratha because it's basically the best bread-type food in the world, and v-con Masala Roasted Vegetables (brussels sprouts, carrots, parnsip and onion). And it was all gone in 10 minutes. I give flying colours to everything!

I ran to the kitchen to get a good shot of everything. Soooooo gooood. I'm especially in love with the mango chutney and the matar tofu - Indira's recipe is so fresh-tasting and comes together like magic in a few minutes if you have everything prepped.

I made some cashew-dates and toasted almonds for good measure, but really who cares about that when you've got.......

V-con Coconut Lemon Bundt Cake! OMG make this cake! It's so moist, and so good. Everything that everyone's been saying about the crispy outside is bang on, and the inside is all zingy and coconutty and kinda melts in the mouth. I'm having more for lunch. With vanilla pudding on top, I think. And I broke the top because de-panning cakes is hard when you're impatient, but icing sugar (and a little bit of careful surgery) is a girl's best friend, I'm discovering.

(the sound of the dinner table, btw ~~~ "mmmmiammm munch munch sigh SO GOOD mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm snarf snarf pass the chutney zomg mmmmm") :D

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness me!! You are a feast queen! I applaud your wonderful efforts. I wish my family would eat indian food instead of thinking it's strange food. Great work... and oh lord, that cake looks fantastic! I love the pretty design. =)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a fantastic spread! You really went all out for your lucky guests.

BitterSweet said...

Gorgeous cake! It looks simply perfect to me- You hid your mistake very well!

Theresa said...

What a fabulous feast! Please please please post the recipe for aloo paratha! We love bread and potatoes and want to eat them whenever humanly possible.

That cake looks SO GOOD too. Where's the recipe from?

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

i am mad impressed!!!

Leigh said...

Whoa, lookit that bundt cake! It's so pretty!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

All I can say is...WOW!!!

Rural Vegan said...

I can't spot any flaws in that amazing looking lemon bundt cake. Seriously, that thing is a work of art!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh my what a feast! Lucky family!! I love everything you made, I need an Indian feast sometime soon.
And your cake looks like perfection! How did you get the design on top? Very cool. And yummy looking.

Steph said...

I am so addicted to Indian food. Oh man.

Steffi said...

I'm booking a flight for the next Indian feast!

Ashasarala said...

When I saw that feast I was about to ask, 'HOW DID YOU DO ALL THAT!' but then I read that you had two days to prepare and now it makes sense. :)

I LOVE Indian food. I SO wish I was invited. It all looks and sounds incredible. When are you coming to Boston? :-D

aTxVegn said...

That meal is completely awesome! I wish I could have been there cuz I know it was all delish. I made that coconut cake too. Wasn't it great?!?!

Theresa said...

Der. I just noticed the word 'V-con' in front of the cake title. You answered my question before I could even ask it!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

no no, that was me with the edit button! I throw recipe names out there all the time and assume that people will know where they're from, it's so my bad. :p

TB said...

you are my hero! this is so impressive. SO impressive.

Veggie said...

Wow, I can't believe you prepared all that yourself.

Everything looks so amazing! Well done.