Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Underwater Cigarettes #3 gets some press!

Oh my gosh! I got an email yesterday from someone who had read a review of my zine in Broken Pencil and wanted a copy! Eeeeeeeeeh! I didn't know I was in there! (Broken Pencil is pretty the voice of canadian underground press)

"Underwater Cigarettes is what a little zine should be. Lovingly crafted and photocopied, it's a smorgasbord of drawings, photos, vegan manifestos, stories and a dash of random musings on life. The entire zine is handwritten, and mercifully, Elizabeth's writing is neat and legible. I sometimes found the vegan bits a tad preachy, but the random life reflections and artwork make up for it. There's a wintery/hibernation/holiday theme and even a "bonus recipe" for pork cake! She probably found in it an old recipe book back in the day when they didn't know better. Ingredients call for a pound of fresh ground pork, molasses, cinnamon, dates and raisins." --Michelle Kay

I found the pork cake recipe in an ooooold soul food cookbook and it just about knocked my funny bone clear to tuesday, I just had to include it. But there's real recipes in there too! Holiday stuffing, wine-marinated tofu, soy whipped topping, pumpkin pie and how to make a pie crust (and a happy NOT-eaten pig presiding over the food pages). So yeah, if anyone wants a copy for $2 canadian plus postage, email me at underwatercigarettes@gmail.com and I'll send one right your way! :D

(oh yeah, and the vegan bits? NOT PREACHY. Sometimes I think all you have to do is mention the V-word and people go all buggy and defensive. I was just talking about why *I* eat the way I do, and briefly at that.)

There's more good news, too! To nurture the sourdough starter in the beginning, you have to toss out 1/2 cup of it and replace it with fresh flour each day. But today it looked really ready, with a white foam and a delicious smooth sourness. So I figured why waste the 1/2 cup and why not attempt to make pancakes?

*ahem*

I have not eaten pancakes before this day.

Gorgeous, fluffy, tangy and sweet, slight crisp outside, the texture is to DIE for and they cooked up like an absolute dream - I am never ever making soggy old regular pancakes again (at least, not unless they have cool things like chocolate or figs in them, because I'm pretty bad at making the regular ones). Seriously, this is the stuff pancake dreams are made of. Yay sourdough!

And I rarely eat pasta, but I do love a good pesto. So I threw together some whole wheat spaghetti, tomatoes, marinated broccoli, greek olives, and spinach & sunflower seed pesto for an A+ awesome lunch. Gotta celebrate, right? :D

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's such a nice review. =) Your zine looks gorgeous.

Your pesto sounds so delicious, I want to eat that picture!! Sounds like the perfect meal to celebrate with.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

wow, very cool! my hubby and I made a zine for friends and family and are in the process of printing/mailing this week.
i am jealous of the pancakes. they sound totally amazing. i love sourdough and would love to make a starter one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Way to go- you deserve the recognition, and then some!

And those sourdough pancakes? Yum!!

aTxVegn said...

I didn't know you had a zine! Congratulations!

The pancakes and pesto pasta look amazingly delicious.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Ummmm, how did I not know you had a zine? That is so awesome!! Congrats on getting it mentioned!

And the pancakes... I'll take those for breakfast anyday!

Ashasarala said...

That's awesome that you were in there. The part about your being 'preachy' really got to me. Is there any way you can contact that person? I would be all over that. I hate when non-vegans get defensive. It's scary.

Yay for sourdough! I'm so glad it finally worked out for you. The pancakes look so delish! :)

bazu said...

congratulations! I didn't know you had a zine!

sarchan said...

Awesome. I will be e-mailing you for a copy of your zine ASAP.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Congratulations on the exciting review of your zine! It must be an amazing feeling for your work to be recognized that way. :)